“I don’t think you have time to waste not writing because you are afraid you won’t be good enough.” Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird
Writing mentorship has been essential to my success as a writer. I revised my essay collection, Made Holy, countless times with the help of other writers who offered consultation and coaching that resulted in me writing a book I adore (published by the University of Georgia Press). Without the perspective of a strong reader and the insight and support of talented writing coaches and mentors, I couldn’t have reached this goal.
Now I’m here to offer you that support.
Nothing is more important than pursuing our dreams.
Are you ready? I can help…
For some writers it’s about time and dedication– scheduling and practicing–they want to find their rhythm through the material.
Other writers need a shot of courage in order to gain the confidence necessary to go the final leg of the journey (Psst… To reach that summit you need to learn to trust your gut.)
Or perhaps you’re an old pro looking for the inspiration to take the next step in your writing work… a newby who needs a bit of extra love and clear vision?
Then there’s the seasoned writer who wants a stellar manuscript critique that will make that book rise to the top of the pile.
Wherever you’re at, the right mentor (me!) will get you where you want to go…
- Have you written a book that you’ve edited a million times, paid others to read, gotten endless feedback but you’re still stuck? I can help you with that. Sometimes our work gets beaten to death…or just requires a longer journey… I offer a different type of manuscript consultation based on my experience in publishing.
- Are you struggling to develop a writing practice that keeps you inspired AND produces great work? I can coach you through it!
- Are you looking for step-by-step feedback on developing the essentials of writing such as a clear and consistent voice, a tone based on intended audience, a style that highlights your strengths, and a compelling narrative or structure. I’ve got a no nonsense approach that will gently guide you through the basics or hone the skills you’ve already developed.
- For manuscript consultations, I offer tailored feedback, depending on where you’re at in your process. It’s fun, it’s painless, and it works… I promise.
- I can also coach you through the research and submission process, whether you’re looking for an agent or want to submit directly to small presses.
Are you ready to jump in? Your next step is getting in touch!
Get in touch: Email me at email@example.com to get started or click here.
Manuscript consultations — this is an in-depth review of your manuscript much like a peer review process or working with an editor or agent. If you’ve revised your manuscript at least once and are looking for insight and direction, this is the ideal next step.
Writing coaching — a longer process where we work together to develop your writing. This is ideal if you’re struggling to get started or need more guidance and structured feedback. You set the pace and define your objectives.
Editing services — detailed copyediting services for anything you’d like support with!
Get in touch: The first step is reaching out. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started or click here.
Emily’s editorial guidance, from detailed line edits to larger developmental feedback, demonstrates the diversity of her knowledge of genre, her passion for lyricism, imagery, and narrative, and her profound appreciation for language in all forms. She is a trusted reader with an invaluable eye.
When Emily reads your manuscript, she engages deeply with the content, offering detailed feedback that includes helpful line edits. But where she really excels as an editor is in getting at the heart of a manuscript’s purpose. Emily has an innate capacity to identify the themes and focus of a larger work and offers invaluable suggestions on how to strengthen it, from title and epigraph suggestions to structural order and ways to improve thematic metaphors to big-picture focus. Emily’s feedback was vital to honing my manuscript.
My editor at Atlas & Alice, Emily, gave me the opportunity to effectuate feedback, while preserving the integrity of my writing—this is her trustworthy intellect at work. She presented edits and suggestions which intensified my sense of language’s nuances; and, over a year later, she remains a provider of profound professional advice fit for all creatives.–Paige Lalain, author of “Malady, Melody“
Emily is a sharp, insightful and generous reader who can give feedback at the sentence, chapter and manuscript level—and encourage even the most stuck writer to break through. I rely on her as a reader of my fiction at all stages; she has an editor’s eye mixed with a writer’s soul. My work owes much to her careful consideration.—Sarah Seltzer, journalist and fiction writer